- What is Alpha?
- Over thirteen million people have explored the Christian faith at Alpha courses all over the world. People from different backgrounds attend Alpha for many reasons, but they have one thing in common – questions!
- The Alpha course was developed in response to people who wanted to have the opportunity to investigate the claims of the Christian faith.
- The support of all the major Christian denominations has enabled the Alpha course to spread rapidly around the world. Today, Alpha is run in over 160 countries and has been translated into more than 100 languages. Courses can also be found in many contexts including churches, homes, workplaces, military bases, colleges, schools, and prisons.Over ten weekly sessions, including a day or weekend away, guests hear the claims of the Christian faith. After the presentation, course attendees have a chance to question what they heard and discuss the validity of the claims.
- There are many reasons why people enjoy attending the Alpha course. For some it’s the no pressure, non-judgmental atmosphere, others enjoy building relationships with new friends, while others appreciate the chance to discuss deep questions of life that they don’t otherwise get the chance to ask.
- Who Is Alpha For?
- People attend from many different backgrounds, religions and viewpoints. They attend for a variety of reasons. Some want to investigate whether God exists and if there is any point to life; others are concerned about what happens after death. Still others may have attended church all their life, but feel they never really understood the basics of the Christian faith. Everyone is welcome!
- Alpha is the course for everyone who thinks there may be more to life than meets the eye.
- What Happens at Alpha?
- Each Alpha course begins with a meal or refreshments providing a chance to relax and get to know others. There is then a short talk, which looks at a different aspect of the Christian faith each week. This is followed by a time of discussion in small groups of about 12 people. Everyone is welcome to contribute their opinion, ask questions and discuss with the rest of the group.
- The Alpha course consists of a series of talks addressing key issues related to the Christian faith.
|Introduction Dinner:||Is there more to life than this?|
|Week 1:||Who is Jesus?|
|Week 2:||Why did Jesus die?|
|Week 3:||How can we have faith?|
|Week 4:||Why and how do I pray?|
|Week 5:||Why and how should I read the Bible?|
|Week 6:||How does God guide us?|
|Week 7:||How can I resist evil?|
|Week 8:||Why & how should we tell others?|
|Week 9:||Does God heal today?|
|Week 10:||What about the Church?|
|Weekend:||Who is the Holy Spirit?
What does the Holy Spirit do?
How can I be filled with the Holy Spirit?
How can I make the most of the rest of my life?
The course curriculum is the book Questions of Life by Nicky Gumbel. Each talk reflects one of the chapters from this book.
Wednesday nights from 6:30-8:30pm starting on October 11th.
Please note: There is no obligation to attend all ten sessions.
For more on Alpha, visit ALPHA USA.
Questions on Faith?
If you’re looking for an engaging discussion on the Christian faith and have questions you want answered, register for the next Alpha by emailing the church office, calling 414-433-0222 or online here!